Carolus Borromeus Church ANTWERP 1 in ANTWERP / BELGIUM description:
This typical baroque church was built by the Jesuits
1615 and 1621 to a design drawn up by their rector Francois Aguillon and Brother
Huyssens. It was built during the Counter-Reformation and was intended to revive the
Rubens played an important part in the decoration of the
, the pinnacle of the tower and especially of the interior.
Sadly, 39 great Rubens ceiling paintings were lost in a fire in 1718 and most of the
original marble was also destroyed. The apse of the main altar and the Mary Chapel
spared and still convey an impression of the church’s former splendor.
The present interior was created by Jan Peter van Baurscheit the Elder, who also
pulpit and the splendid casing for the Forceville organ. There are also sculptures
carvings by Michiel van der Voort, Andries de Nole and others.
A single painting hangs above the altar but it is not always the same one. An
mechanism which is still in working order makes it possible to change the paintings.
After Joost van der Voort (translated by us): 'In this beautiful church one finds
artswork of sculptor Michiel van der Voort-the Elder.
Investigation lears that - however moved through history after the fire - still 2
confessionals from Michiel can be found on the north side of the church, as well as
all medaillons about the life of Franciscus of Xaverius. Very worthwile seeing. Also
above the galery on the sides we find medaillons by Michiel
van der Voort- the Elder, in collaboration with Bauerscheid -de Oude, the works of
mercy. The confessionals are left and right of the Saint-
Ignatius chapel, where one also finds the statue of the Holy Johannes Nepomucenus
made by the same sculptor'.