Calvaria Basilica Satu Mare / Romania description:
Quite close to this place, inside the city walls, in 1711 there was a
church devoted to Our Lady(Virgin Mary). It was a
The garden of the episcopal presidence was n a hill, that was created by throwing the
earth extracted from the moats. This hill was called the 'drumming hill' as important
messages where proclameted from it.
The Calvary church (basilica) was built in 1844 on this hill ordered by bishop Ham
Janos in neo-gothic style..
On June 6th 1909, the church was sanctified by bishop Dr. Boromisza Tibor.
The towers are 42.20 m heigh, which is the same height as the
firebrigade's tower in the city center.
In 1945 the church was damaged. Damages were repaired. 30 years later, in 1975, new
repairs were needed.