North Theater - Eszaki Szinhaz Theater Satu Mare / Romania description:
The first theater performances known in Satu mare date from 1790. Since 1847, there is a
permanent theatre in Satu Mare, in a stone theatre building. This was one
of the first stone theatre buildings in Hungaria.
On Mai 18th, 1889, the first stone was laid for a new and top modern theatre
building, with a professional theatre company inside it. The new theatre was officially
opened on January 14th, 1892, with a huge ceremony. The architect was Adolf Voyta,
building works were led by Szikszay Louis. Interior was the art of Spanraft and Hirsch.
This building was in use till it was bombed during the Second World War. D
After the War, it took till 1957 (mainly due to internal quarrels) until a new
professional theatre company came to Satu Mare.
The North Theatre company comes forth from a Hungarian theatre, under directorship of
Rage George. Originally, they had settled in Baia Mare. But there were insufficient
financial and logistic possibilities to let florish the company professionally. This is
why on September 15th, 1956, the Parties Provicial Executive Committee decided to
relocate the theatre company to the old building in Satu Mare.