Proosdij BRUGES / BELGIUM description:
This baroque building was used as Deans'house for the Saint-Donaaschurch, which was demollished by the French at the end of the French Revolution. It was designed amongst others by the architecte Cornelis Verhouven.
The 6 left spans are of a more recent date : they date from 1907.
As a lot , it is an example of triumphalistic architecture from the time of the contrareformation. Ionic and composite colons make the facade rythmic. The spans have become a colourcompositon of yellow-blue because of the mixture of honey-yellow sandstone with the blue colour of the blue stone. The balcony is flanked with statues (cariatides), en crowned with a superposition of frontons. The top fronton carries the statues of the Greek Gods of Truth, Charity and Justice. The facade is crowned with a superb imposant balustradeattic with flame vases.