Donkey gate BRUGES / BELGIUM description:
Just as the Ghent- and the Kruis Cross gate this towngate belongs to the second townwalls around Bruges from 1297. Jan Slabbaerthas rebuilt it completely in 1369.
The upperbuilding was addapted to the 17th century.The house of the guard was added in the 18th century. At het end of the 18th century the frontgate was demolished.
This gateway differs from the other ones because it is built completly in the water instead of on the shore and because it is used only by pedestrians.
With its two round turrets it is a simplified version of the other gateways on the other side of the town.
This building was honnored with the de Europa Nostra Award in 1994.