Saint Nicolas' church (Sankt Nikolaus) Aachen / Germany description:
In 1005 Emperor Hendrick II (Heinrich II) opened a chapel here to worship Sint-Nicolaas.
In 1234, this was taken over by the Franciscanc.
The current Gothic church was built from 1327. In 1390, the
choir was enlarged. In 1656 (city fire) and 1692 (earth quake) a lot of damage was done
(mainly roof and tower), but both times the interior was spared.
In 1994, the Saint-Nicolas' church was seriously damaged. It was rebuilt in it's
original shape after the war.
In 1802, the cloister was closed as a consequence of the French Revolution by
On New-year eve 2010/2011 a fire rocket entered inside via a window of the coir,
leading to a devastating fire.
For more info (in German), see http://citykirche.de/kirche-st-